Location: Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
Salary: The package will be open to negotiation.
The successful candidate will join the UK national governing body of athletics, as it goes through considerable change. It is at the heart of a new vision and strategy for the whole sport, shared with the governing bodies in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. “Athletics Unified” sets out our role for the decade ahead in promoting running, throwing, jumping and pushing to everyone, with a clear pathway from the playground to the podium in the nation’s favourite Olympic and Paralympic Games sport.
• The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for leading the development and execution of UK Athletics’ (UKA) strategy, ensuring its alignment to the ‘Athletics Unified’ document, which is the vision for the sport of Athletics in the UK as agreed by all five athletics governing bodies (“the Athletics Vision”).
• The CEO will provide leadership to the senior management team, by overseeing the overall management of the organisation’s operational processes, ensuring that UKA achieves the objectives agreed with the Board, and operates effectively and efficiently as a National Governing Body for the sport of athletics in the UK.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• Experience in successfully setting and implementing strategy for an organisation of a similar scale and complexity as CEO, or senior equivalent.
• Excellent and demonstrable business, financial and commercial acumen.
• Experience of developing strong relationships with a wide range of partners and stakeholders.
• Proven track record of achieving organisational objectives.
• Demonstrable performance management experience in an environment where there is significant public interest and scrutiny.
• Experience of dealing with the media.
• Knowledge and experience of athletics is desirable, but not essential if the candidate is able to demonstrate strong experience in the other areas outlined above.
• Relevant degree or equivalent qualification in business management or another relevant discipline
AS WELL AS
• Excellent interpersonal, leadership and influencing skills and the ability to lead a senior executive team.
• Gravitas and presence, capable of presenting effectively to the UK public and the media on a global scale.
• A sound understanding of high level performance and of the athletics pathway, from grass roots to elite, and of the dynamics of successful sporting events.
• Understand the nuances of operating at the interface between the private and public sectors.
• Capable of thinking at a strategic level and creating and implementing a vision for the organisation to incorporate the long term goals for UK Athletics.
• Able to communicate effectively and influence stakeholders at all levels.
• Evidence of commitment to sport and able to gain credibility and respect within the sector.
• Understanding of the key elements in event management.
• Ability to lead in partnership with others.
Please see attached a full candidate brief for further details.
Closing date for applications is mid-night on Sunday 20th February 2022.